Monday, July 20, 2026

Gabe is HOOOME!

 




(I am copying this post from Gabe's mission blog to make it easier!)

He's hoooooome!!!! As I am typing this, Gabe is sitting next to me in the backyard. It is Monday, July 20 and he is messaging a ton of people for their P-days! It has been such a whirlwind these past four days. Gabe flew into Idaho Falls on Wednesday night at 10:30 pm and his flight actually got there about 15 minutes early. We were speeding down the highway and I kept checking to see if it was on time in the Delta app and it kept getting earlier and earlier! 

But we made it in time! We had lots of people there, and I even had my photographer friend, Amira, there to take pics. It all went well and it was so amazing hugging him for the first time after two years!! 

Then, on Sunday (yesterday) we had his homecoming talk in church and then his luncheon at the clubhouse. I did the same food as last time (sandwiches and salads) and it was super good. Tons of people came! Then, Spain won the World Cup later that day!! It was amazing!!

I also have this little Post-Mission questionnaire that I had Gabe answer for me to put in this book! I am going to include it here as a summary of his mission!


Post-Mission Questions

Places

My favorite area I served in was: Granada 

The most challenging place I served was: Alcazar de San Juan 

The place I served the longest was: Aranjuez

How long did you serve there: in the ward, 11 months 

The place that had the best sights to see: Granada 

Most interesting sights I saw or places I visited were: the Alhambra, a hike with swinging rope bridges in Granada, all the Catholic Churches 

Favorite places I ever ate at were: Kabob in Granada, Barasas in Madrid next to the temple for empanadas (Venezuelan food)

My favorite mission foods that I ate were: tortilla de patata, jamon, arepas


Companeros 

The companion that I was with the longest was: I was with most of my companions for two transfer, but I think I was probably with Elder Plewe and Elder Taylor the longest because it was a seven week transfer 

The companion that I was with the shortest was: Elder Zuniga (one week!), Elder Bradshaw and Elder Hulterstrom were the only two that I was with for one transfer 

My messiest companion was: Elder Adams 

My cleanest companion was: Elder Bradshaw, Elder Taylor and Elder Bradshaw 

My favorite companion was (can list more than one, and maybe describe ways or why they were your favorite!):

Not Adams, Olson, or Bright because I was so depressed at those times 

Really liked all the other ones though 

The companion that was probably the most challenging was: Elder Adams 

The companion that I didn’t like at first, but came to like was: Elder Olson was ok, but hard at first. Elder Drysdale was really stiff at first but then I fixed him. We low key had beef sometimes. But we ended up getting along more at the end. I would make jokes and he’s get offended. 

The companion that I could talk to the most easily: probably Elder Jara (even though at first he didn’t speak English at all and I don’t speak very Spanish very well.)


People I Met on My Mission

The member family (or families) that really took me in and made me feel love most were: the Daguimar family in Aranjuez, the Perez family in Granada, the Vargas family in Granada, the Bishop’s family (Juan Carlos Munoz?) in Cartagena 

The members that made the best meal for me were: Cecilia made seviche for us 

What kind of meals do you remember them making: arepas a lot, rice and chicken 

The person I baptized that first started to strengthen my testimony was: Smith Gift 

The most interesting person I baptized was: Jose Sanchez, then Boyan, then Faolla

The person (male) I baptized who I could see becoming a future bishop is: Ricardo or Luis if they stay faithful, but they are both so young still. 

The person (female) I baptized who I could see becoming a future relief society president is: Alexandra, Lily, Cecilia… honestly a lot of the women could be great leaders 

The person I finally baptized who required me to have the most patience was: Faolla

Tell why: She was crazy and would say devious things 

My favorite bishops of my mission were: Bishop Nefi (Granada) and Bishop Juan Carlos (Cartagena) 

Other favorite or memorable members I met: Daguimar family (Aranjuez), Villamizar family (Granada)

In what ways was your mission president what you expected or what you didn’t expect? He was super nice and funny, but I don’t expect him to be Latino (Costa Rican)


Spiritual 

A time that really strengthened my testimonio: When we found and taught Smith Gift in Aranjuez. 

A time that made me feel loved or appreciated: When Daguimar sent Bautista from Aranjuez to Cartagena with a cake and a meal for my 19th birthday 

A time that I helped a companion: Elder Adams and having to have peak patience with him 

Name a favorite speaker, apostle, etc. that you remember giving a talk in your mission that really resonated with you: The David Bednar devotional that I listened to in Aranjuez. It was a broadcast about personal revelation. 

A scripture verse that helped you on your mission: 2 Nephi 25:23 “For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.”

How has your testimony changed now after your mission as compared to what it was during the MTC: I think the biggest thing is that now it’s just more of a priority to me. I was just a lazy boy. I didn’t do a lot to strengthen my testimony every day like I am trying to do now. 















0 comments: